GEN Opata: Czech Armed Forces Must Follow New Trends and Use New Technologies
Vision of the Armed Forces for 2022, evaluation of this year and thanks to the outgoing Minister of Defence. This was the opening of the traditional Command Assembly of the Chief of the General Staff of the Czech Armed Forces, General Aleš Opata.
In 2018, the General Staff of the Czech Armed Forces launched a massive development of the armed forces and General Opata set five clear priorities. These are immediate impact projects, modernisation, new capabilities, personnel and a command & control system that has proven itself in the fight against covid. In a very short period of time, the foundations of the Cybernetic and Information Warfare Forces, the Support Battalion, the Unmanned Systems Battalion and the Airborne Regiment were built almost from scratch.
The acquisition of self-propelled guns Caesar, SHORAD anti-aircraft system, helicopters, MADR radars, RBS 70 NG, Pandur II vehicles, additional CASA transport aircrafts, small arms, fire control system, Titus armoured vehicles, Toyota Hilux all-terrain vehicles and other equipment was completed.
The MoD is now awaiting completion of the Tracked Infantry Fighting Vehicle project. "There is no way this project can be stopped or stalled. It is a matter of national security and cannot bear any delay," General Opata stressed.
"The rearmament of the army must not only not be stopped but accelerated. We are tackling the IFVs but other vital projects like Supersonic Air Force or new tanks are around the corner. Not to mention investments in digitisation, information systems and their protection. Modernisation is inevitable, and the world around us shows us that every day."
According to General Opata, our future lies in technology, artificial intelligence, unmanned vehicles, laser-guided munitions and robotics. If we underestimate or misjudge these trends, our military will be old, even if it drives new cars. The lines are blurring between peace and conflict, between politics and warfare, between the strategic and the tactical, the kinetic and the non-kinetic.
The new NATO documents Warfighting Capstone Concept and Deterrence and Defence of Euro-Atlantic Area, which describe the threats and priorities for the construction of defence capabilities, are crucial for the Army. For decades, the Alliance has focused on low-intensity operations and short crises. Now the change is coming, now it will think and plan for the long term. Thus, the military must think in a parallel, multi-domain context. The battlespace will be multidimensional because it must link traditional domains with virtual ones.
If the Czech Republic does not want to be a stowaway in European security, it has no choice but to strengthen its readiness, have the ability to react and contribute to the military and technological superiority of the Alliance.
According to General Opata, it is necessary to remember the five NATO imperatives for the development of warfare:
- Cognitive Superiority
- Layered Resilience
- Influence and Power Projection
- Integrated Multi-domain Defence
- Cross Domain Command
Foto: WO Petr Dohnal
- 13.01.2022Instro Precision Exhibits at Future Forces 2022
- 23.12.2021Season's Greetings
- 23.11.2021GEN Opata: Czech Armed Forces Must Follow New Trends and Use New Technologies
- 16.11.2021Future Air Force Panel - New Generation Aircraft 2022
- 11.11.2021Veterans Day
- 27.10.2021Future Cyber Defence Conference | 09 - 10 November 2021
- 22.10.2021Successful Meetings with our Exhibitors and Partners at Milipol
- 22.10.2021Auspices of the Minister of Defence of the Czech Republic
- 15.10.2021Meet us at Milipol Paris
- 05.10.2021European Cyber Security Challenge 2021
- 22.09.2021FFF Newsletter | September 2021
- 20.09.2021Lockheed Martin's TPY-4 Radar Sets New Standard In Airspace Threat Detection
- 15.09.2021What’s it like to be a soldier on a NATO exercise?
- 11.08.2021Jan Mazal: It is difficult to imagine the future battlefield without robotic systems
- 30.07.2021FFF Newsletter | July 2021
- 23.07.2021Rheinmetall to Supply the Bundeswehr with Laser Light Modules
- 23.07.2021Lockheed Martin F-35: The Most Advanced Node in the 21st Century Warfare
- 19.07.2021Rheinmetall Presents First Full Concept for the Next Generation of the Bundeswehr’s Future Soldier
- 21.05.202114th FFF will be held on 19 - 21 October 2022 in Prague
- 03.05.2021Future of Cyber Conference Successfully Concluded as a Hybrid Event
- 26.04.2021Future of Cyber Conference 2021 will be a Hybrid Event
- 20.04.2021Air Defence Conference 2021 will be a virtual event
- 06.04.2021Postponed FFF was to host several world premieres
- 22.03.2021Announcement of postponement - FFF will not take place live in April 2021
- 16.02.2021Rheinmetall’s Lynx KF41 answers new battlefield threats
- 12.02.2021Česká zbrojovka (CZ) to Acquire Colt
- 12.02.2021Possible Future Tank for the Czech Armed Forces
- 11.02.2021Recruitment of Members of the 43rd Airborne Regiment of the Czech Armed Forces
- 10.02.2021GDELS Awarded Order for 57 EAGLE 4x4 Vehicles for Danish Armed Forces
- 09.02.2021DDoS Attacks on FFF and Future Forces Exhibition Servers
- 04.02.2021Air Defence Conference 2021
- 29.01.2021"New Ideas for NATO 2030" – a youth event organized by NATO
- 25.01.2021Number of Confirmed Foreign Delegations to FFF is Growing
- 22.01.2021Possibility to Participate in the NIAG Studies
- 12.01.2021The First Czech Command of a Foreign Mission Successfully Completed
- 05.01.2021FFF Contributed to the Modernization of Military University Hospital Prague
- 23.12.2020Season's Greetings
- 03.12.2020How can the wars of the future look like? Outlines were presented by DefSec Innovation Hub project
- 26.11.2020The Command Assembly supported the modernization of the Czech Armed Forces and rejected cuts in defence spending
- 23.11.2020FFF & CZ DEFENCE – Discounted Offer of Online Campaigns
- 04.11.2020Czech MoD to launch a market survey for the project "Medium Wheeled Armored Vehicle"
- 21.10.2020MESAS 2020 conference went virtually
- 21.10.2020Backup medical facility is being built at PVA EXPO PRAHA instead of the FFF 2020
- 07.10.2020COLSYS - AUTOMATIK became the main partner of the Future of Cyber Conference
- 06.10.2020Welcome Word from the Minister of Industry & Trade and Minister of Transport
- 01.10.2020POSTPONEMENT OF THE FFF TO A NEW TERM 28 - 30 APRIL 2021
- 29.09.2020Welcome Word from the President of the DSIA
- 29.09.2020Welcome Word from the Chairman of the Future of Cyber Conference
- 29.09.2020Welcome Word from the General Director of the Fire Rescue Service
- 29.09.2020Welcome Word from the Prime Minister